Castle was built in 1832 by John d'Arcy of Clifden Castle,
33 years before Mitchell Henry built Kylemore Abbey in 1865.
D'Arcy, who founded Clifden in 1812, was considered a leader
of the community and was frequently consulted by the local
constabulary in time of trouble or unrest. Following
D'Arcy's death, his son Mitchen sold the property to the
Irish Church Mission Society in 1854.
Anbally Castle was a 15th century castle and bawn of the
Burke family. It was formerly known as Tavenagh Castle.
Annaghdown Castle was erected on the east shore of Lough
Corrib by the O'Flaherties in the late 14th century.
Ardamullivan Castle - Gort
The O'Shaughnessey's old stronghold at Ardamullivan south of
restored, now it's a National Monument and in great shape.
Built in 1567.
Ardrahan Castle was the centre of a 13th century centre of
the O'Heynes family, later becoming a manor of the Norman
FitzGerald family. Built 1250
Ashford Castle - Cong
Ashford Castle is a medieval castle near Cong in County Mayo
on the shore of Lough Corrib. The castle was built in the
13th century by the Anglo-Norman de Bugos family, after
their defeat of the O'Connors of Connaught.
Athenry (deBermingham's Castle)
is one of the most notable medieval walled towns
surviving in Ireland, owing its foundation to Meiler de
Bermingham who built his Castle there c.1250.
deBermingham's Castle is now a restored National Monument.
Castle - Oughterard
Built by the O'Flahertys c. 1500, Aughnanure Castle lies in
picturesque surroundings close to the shores of Lough Corrib.
Standing on what is virtually a rocky island, the Castle is
a particularly well-preserved example of an Irish tower
house. In addition, visitors will find the remains of a
banqueting hall, a watch tower, an unusual double bawn and
bastions and a dry harbour.
Ballinfad Castle was a Martin family reconstruction of an
old 15th century O'Flaherty stronghold in Connemara. Now restored for
- Recess, Connemara
Ballynahinch Castle is steeped in a wealth of tradition and
has been intertwined in the history of Connemara and its
people for many centuries. From the days of the O'Flaherty
Chieftains, to Grace O'Malley, the Pirate Queen of
Connemara, to Humanity Dick Martin, founder of the society
for the prevention of cruelty to animals and to H.R.H. the
Maharajah Ranjitsinji, also known as the 'Ranji', Prince of
Ballinderry, south of Tuam, is a very late tower house of
the 17th century. Now being restored. Has a Sheela na Gig
over front door.
Ballindooley Castle is just outside Galway City, and it's
another Burke house. It had the distinction of having been
shelled by the British gunboat Helga during the 1916 rising.
Recently restored and plastered, it's being lived in again.
Ballinduff, on the lakeshore close to Headford, was a 14c
Burke house which passed to the Skerret family. Situated
amidst the remains of a monastic settlement.
Ballybrit Castle was a small deBurgo castle on the outskirts
of the town of Galway. That's Ballybrit racecourse in the
Ballybroder, close to Loughrea, is a fairly plain tower
house of the Burkes, from the 16th century.
Ballykine Castle - Clonbur
Ballykine Castle near Clonbur was the home of the Kyne
family, who held sway in this area.
Ballylee Castle (Thoor Ballylee) in south Galway. Fully restored, it is a
fine example of a 14c Irish Tower House erected by the deBurgos. W.B. Yates lived here for a time in the 1920's.
Ballylin is a small Burke tower house from the 15th century,
close to Craughwell. Now quite ruined.
Ballymore Castle in Lawrencetown was originally a Madden
tower house of the 15th century, to which a house was added
in 1620 and much altered since. Ballymore Castle was built
by John Lawrence in year 1585.
Barnaderg Castle is close to the town of Tuam, and was a
16th century stronghold of the O'Kelly clan.
Blakes Castle in the heart of Galway City, was a 15th
century town house of the Blakes. Used later as a town jail
up to the 19th century, it is now restored as part of an
Brackloon castle near Clonfert, was a 15c O'Madden
stronghold. It was a scene of slaughter when the garrison
were thrown off the battlements in 1651.
Bunowen Castle was a development of an earlier 18c fortified
mansion. The Geoghegan family erected it, although it passed
to the Blakes in later years.
Caherdangan, or Strongfort, was another 15c Burke house
close to Craughwell. Now restored and lived in.
Cahererillan, on the Clare border, is another O'Shaughnessy
Tower House of the 14th century - this one was 6 floors.
Caislean na Circe
Castlekirk was a very early Irish castle of the O'Flaherty
clan, dating from the 12th century. Built upon a peninsular
island in Lough Corrib, it was almost impregnable.
Carrigín castle on the North-east shore of Lough Corrib.
Don't let the plaster fool you - it's an authentic late 13c
Manor Castle, in perfect condition. Lived in continuously
for 700 years, mostly by the Gaynard family.
Cashlaundarragh was a 15th century O'Kelly castle in the
Monivea area; now very ruined.
Castledaly, not far from Gort, home to the Daly family. The
18c house incorporated a 15c tower house, originally known
Castlegar Castle on the outskirts of Galway city was the
main Clanricard (Richard deBurgo) residence before they
moved to Portumna Castle in 1618. This was a 14c tower
Hackets Castle, close to Tuam, was home of the Hackett family
at first; later of the Kirwans after the Cromwellian
Castle Taylor was a 16th century tower house formerly known
as Ballymcgrath. The Taylor family added to it & much
altered it. It was inhabited up to the 1930's.
Cromwell's artillery left very little of 13c Castletown
castle in the 1650's. You'll find it near Kiltartan in South
Galway. Lady Gregory loved this place. South of Gort, there
are very extensive ruins.
Claregalway Castle, on the River Clare. The Coogans should
have an affinity for this one. Another 15 century Clanricard
Clooneen Castle was a 14th century tower house, part of the
manor of Headford.
Cloonacauneen Castle is a beautiful 15th century Norman
castle situated on outskirts of Galway city. Fully restored
and lived in.
Clifden Castle was erected by John D'Arcy in 1815 to oversee
the construction of Clifden town in Connemara.
Cloghan Castle, close to Loughrea, has recently been
restored. You can now rent it out & stay for a while. It was
built 1247 by the deBurgo family on an early incursion into
Clondegoff castle backs onto the Shannon river. It was the
scene of an infamous eviction in the 1880's, having been
inhabited up to then since the late 15th century. Happily,
it is now also being restored.
Cloughballymore was a tower house of the Kilkelly family in
the 16th century. Later fell to the Blakes, who added a
mansion to it which is still in use.
Corofin Castle was built in 1451 for Emelina deBurgo, and
was part of the manor of Headford.
Creagh castle was a massive early tower house, immensely
strong. Much plundered for cut stone, but the fabric is
still in good condition.
Cregg Castle was built by the Kirwan family in 1648, and is
said to be the last fortified mansion built west of the
Shannon. This is still inhabited, and operates as an hotel.
Creganna Castle was a 15th century O'Heynes castle which
fell to the Reddingtons. Long a ruin, it is recently
restored as a private dwelling.
Derrydonnel More is a massive 15 century deBurgo keep,
surrounded by intricate fortifications.
Derryhivenny Castle was erected by Donal O'Madden in 1643,
and was their principle seat. This was the scene of many
Derrymacloughna Castle was another Burke tower house of the
15th century, which had a house extension at one time. Now
ruined, there is a medieval church nearby.
Drumharsna is an early 16th century tower built by Shane
Ballagh, one of the Kilkelly family. It later fell to the
Trench family, and was in use up to the 1920's.
Dunamon Castle was originally built in the 12th century by
the O'Finnaghy clan. It changed hands many times, and is
thought to be the oldest continuously inhabited building in
Dunguaire Castle ; Kinvara
The castle, which overlooks Galway, is a 16th century
castle. From April to September the castle comes alive with
medieval banquets, which feature a theatrical performance
involving rhyme, verse music and song. The castle shop has a
crafts shop and visitors centre.
Dunmore castle was another deBermingham fortification of the
mid 13c. Built in 1225, and lived in by them until the early
19th century. Similar to Athenry in many ways.
Dunsandle is an imposing 15th century tower house formerly
on the estates of the Daly family. Presently under
Feartagar Castle, or Castlegrove, northwest of Tuam, is
another Burke Castle of the 15th century. Abandoned since
the 1650's. It's also referred to locally as Jennings
Fiddaun was the massively fortified stronghold of the
O'Shaughnessy clan. Built in the 15th century upon what was
then a island, now drained land. Still in good condition &
Garbally was a 15th century O'Kelly tower house, demolished
by Cromwell & never repaired.
Glinsk Castle, in the North East corner of County Galway.
One of the many deBurgo mansions, this one by Ulick Burke
from 1615, reputed to be the last castle built in this
Grange was the castle of Walter Bui de Burgo, and was built
in the 15th century.
Headford Castle was built by the Skerritt family, one of the
14 tribes of Galway.
- Kilchreest, Loughrea
Isserkelly was originally a 14th century O'Kelly stronghold,
which later became the main residence of the McHubert Burke
family from the 16th century.
Kilcolgan Castle is located on the banks of the Kilcolgan River, over-looking Galway Bay. The castle which dates from
the 11th Century was rebuilt by the St. George Family in the
late 18th Century. It has been extensively but sensitively
refurbished by the late Hon. W.N. Gustafson von Hillerstamm
and now hosted by his daughter Karen.
Kilcornan was originally a 16th century castle of Ulick
deBurgo. The Reddington family built a fine mansion around it
in the 1830's, incorporating the old tower in it's fabric.
Killeen Castle was built by Redmond Burke in the mid 1500's.
Kilmacduagh was another early fortified house of the Hall
House model from the 13th century.
Kilrogue castle is another Burke tower house, located on the
Clare river close to Claregalway.
Kinlough castle is a late 17th century tower house, located
near an monastic settlement on the Black river.
Kylemore Castle was built in 1864 by Mitchell Henry. Now a
convent school run by the Benedictine Order of Nuns from Ypres.
Lackagh was built by the Burkes in the 14th century, and was
owned by the Henry FitzEdmond branch of the family. Now
Lackafinna was a 16th century tower house of the Earls of
Clanricard family, now very ruined.
Lismore was the principle seat of the O'Maddens in the 15th
century; it later passed to the Burkes, and later to the
Daly family who added a large mansion to it. Now quite
Longford was another O'Madden fortress from the 15th
century, which saw many battles in its environs.
Lough Cutra Castle
Lough Cutra Castle and Estate has a long and varied history.
The countryside surrounding Lough Cutra contains much
evidence of a history dating back to the Tuatha Da Danaans.
Evidence of old churches, cells and monasteries are prolific
in the area and a number of the islands on the lake contain
the remnants of stone alters.
Lydacan was an O'Heynes fortress in South Galway from the
14th century, later falling to the Lynch family.
Lynch's castle in the heart of Galway town was the 15th
century town house of the Lynch family. Now used as a Bank
Mannin Castle, or Ballymannin, was an early tower house of
the Burkes, built in several stages. Parts are in good
Menlo Castle was built in 1569, and was the main home of the
Blake family, until it tragically burned down in 1910.
Merlin Park, formerly Doughiska Castle, was an O'Connor castle of
the 16th century. Still in good condition, it was lived in
to the mid-19th century.
Monivea was an O'Kelly castle of the 15th century, which
later became part of the Ffrench mansion. Inhabited until
the mid 20th century.
Moyveela is a much ruined early tower house, probably of the
Moylough Castle is an very early Hall House of the 13th
century. Now quite ruined.
Moyne castle was a 16th century castle built on the Black
river on the Mayo border, to which a much later mansion was
added. Both are now ruined.
Moyode Castle was another tall Tower House of the Burkes,
which went to the Persse family. Now restored and inhabited.
Newtown Castle is unusual in that it is nearly circular;
built near the Clare border by Sir John Perrot in the mid
O'Brien's Castle on Inis Oírr
in the Aran Islands was built in the 14th century. The castle was taken from the O'Briens by the O'Flaherty clan of Connemara in 1582.
Oranmore Castle was built sometime round the fifteenth century possibly on
the site of an older castle. It was a stronghold of the Clanricardes who
were a prominent Norman family of Galway.
Pallas Castle - Tynagh
best-preserved tower-house in a county which has many
The tower is 5 storeys high, with the third storey vaulted.
Beside having a guard's room, and a 'dog's hole', the ground
floor has an oven which was added later.
Parkbaun was a late 16th century well-equipped Burke tower
house, within the Ardrahan manor area.
The great semi-fortifed house at Portumna was built before
1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde.
There are exhibitions in the castle and Gate House. Guided
tours of the gardens and part of the castle are available on
Renville castle is now part of a recreation park area near
Oranmore, and is fully restored. The Athy family lived here
up to 1819, and it was previously owned by the Lynch & Burke
Renvyle Castle on the northern shore of Connemara faces the
Atlantic. It was an O'Flaherty castle, passing into the
hands of the Blakes for a time.
Riverville was one of three tower houses in close proximity,
being a residence of the Bourkes from the 16th century
Shrule Castle, on the Black river at the Mayo border, was
part of a manor granted by Richard deBurgo to his son John
Tulira Castle was originally a McHubert Burke Castle of the
15th century, to which the Martin Family added a mansion in
the 1870's. Tullira Castle is private property.
Turloughcartron was a subsidiary castle in the manor of
Headford, and dates from the 14th century.
Tribes of Galway
See Sheela na Gig in County Galway